Women continue to struggle for representation across the film industry globally. One social barrier particularly affects women, although it applies to everyone: Family vs. Film
We believe conversations make change happen, and we want things to change. We are losing too much talent to the choice many filmmakers are forced to make, between being a parent and making films. We don’t believe this choice is necessary, but rather a product of social and economic conditions, and we want to start a conversation about how change can be made for filmmakers who want to have a family and continue their careers.
This is about development, sustainability and diversity. RAISING FILMS aims to address one of the issues that prevents many female filmmakers from pursuing their careers, to enable filmmakers with families to keep working and feel supported during demanding times in their personal lives, and to challenge at a structural level the demands the film industry makes of all of us.
If you would like to submit a testimonial about being a parent or carer working in the film industry in any role, email us here. We are happy to anonymise testimonials on request.
For all other information, questions, quandaries, support & bright ideas, email us here.
Our strategies include:
- gathering qualitative data, via our interviews, testimonials and case studies
- gathering quantitative data in collaboration with academic and industry organisations, for presentation to policy makers, towards structural change, for example our Making It Possible survey
- sharing stories, news and resources via Facebook and Twitter to build a supportive community
- sharing evidence and data within the industry to change practices around childcare provision
- creating a fund to enable filmmakers with families to pay for childcare
- creating an industry standard to recognise a duty of care for publicly-funded productions
Together, we can raise films.
The Made Open platform was created by Made Open Communications Ltd - a passionate and forward-thinking team who care about designing digital services to achieve social impact.